durusmail: durus-users: Why Durus
Why Durus
Binger David
2009-10-10
On Oct 9, 2009, at 8:41 PM, tudza wrote:

> I noticed that Durus is included the the standard install of Python 3.

That is news to me.
Which standard install do you mean?

> Having done little with complex databases and database servers, I
> was wondering if someone could tell me why I would want to use Durus
> instead of MySQL or something similar?

Reasons to Use Durus:

Durus is nice if you are a python programmer and you
like to store and access your data as python objects.

If you'd prefer to organize your data using lists, dictionaries,
and instances of your own python classes rather than just
tables, then you might like Durus.

If you'd like your data objects to refer to other data
objects by direct reference, instead of by keys, then you
might like Durus.

The Durus source code is only a few thousand lines:  if
you really wanted to understand what is going on internally,
you could.

Reasons not to Use Durus:

If you or your organization have legacy applications or people
or skills that require you to maintain your data in a relational
database, then Durus won't help.

If you need software written in languages other than Python
to have direct access to your data, then Durus is not
appropriate.

---

Durus isn't the right persistence solution for everyone, but it
has been a terrific tool for us at the MEMS Exchange for 5 years
now, where we use it in multiple web applications.

reply