durusmail: durus-users: Offline batch modifications
Offline batch modifications
Offline batch modifications
David K. Hess
2007-02-22
So, it sounds like I need to make sure and do just one pickle for
transferring each graph of interconnected objects? And that will make
sure that each object that might be interconnected in multiple ways
inside that graph is still a single object with multiple references
in the result?

That suggests to me an easy method of merging complicated graphs in
two databases with some filtering. Just pickle/unpickle the root in
the second database and then walk the result  and copy over items
individually into the first? That should do the right thing and also
move over all pieces of the object graph related to each copied item?

Thanks!

Dave

------
David K. Hess
Verscend Technologies, Inc.
dhess@verscend.com
214-684-5448

On Feb 22, 2007, at 3:35 PM, David Binger wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2007, at 4:07 PM, David K. Hess wrote:
>
>> Digging up an old thread about data migration between two durus
>> instances, what if your structure does have references to other
>> Persistent objects? Is there a reasonably simple process that
>> preserves the references?
>
> The pickling method described does a deep copy.
> It works fine to copy objects with references: every
> referenced object will be included in the pickle and
> copied.
>
> The only problem is if the graph of objects includes
> things that you *don't* want to copy.

reply