durusmail: durus-users: Replication - thoughts, patches, thinking out loud.
Replication - thoughts, patches, thinking out loud.
2009-06-21
Peter Wilkinson (4 parts)
Replication - thoughts, patches, thinking out loud.
Replication - thoughts, patches, thinking out loud.
2009-07-07
Replication - thoughts, patches, thinking out loud.
Replication - thoughts, patches, thinking out loud.
2009-07-08
Replication - thoughts, patches, thinking out loud.
Neil Schemenauer
2009-07-07
On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 01:46:33PM -0400, Binger David wrote:
> I don't understand why splitting would be better than using
> the --append flag on rsync.

The --append flag does not handle a packed database. I suppose you
could create a script that detected a pack and called rsync without
the --append flag in that case.

> If, in addition to the inode number, you watch for changes in the
> ctime of the file and/or the .prepack file, I think you could
> avoid the possibility of an inode number being the same in a
> twice-packed  file.

I don't see how that is bullet-proof either. The ctime changes at
least as fast as mtime. My solution works 100% as long as the
pack interval is longer than the time between splits.

Regards,

  Neil
reply