durusmail: mems-talk: DSP vs SSP
DSP vs SSP
beaton@npphotonics (Bill Eaton)
2003-07-03
For most microelectronics applications, people tend to use single side
polished (SSP) wafers. These are wafers with a mirror finish on one side and
a rougher, lapped or etched surface on the other side. Double side polished
(DSP) wafers have a mirror finish on both sides. They are useful for certain
MEMS processes that require doing operations on both sides of the wafer.
Most photolithographic processes and many deposition processes will not
yield very good results on the rough side of an SSP wafer. Furthermore,
processes that require front to backside alignment typically rely on using
an infrared camera to see through the wafer to see a pattern. The rough side
of an SSP wafer typically is too great for IR alignment.

Regards,

Bill Eaton, Ph.D.
Materials & Analysis Manager
NP Photonics

Hosted by the MEMS Exchange, providers of MEMS processing services.
Visit us at http://www.memsnet.org/

reply