durusmail: mems-talk: DSP vs SSP
DSP vs SSP
Brubaker Chad
2003-07-07
I have to disagree on one point, just for clarity's sake.

By and large, the majority of front-to-back lithography processes performed
these days (especially in MEMS) are performed using a front-to-back mask aligner
such as the EVG620, which uses backside microscopes for visible light alignment.
This does allow front to back lithography with SSP wafers. Even automated
alignment (via image recognition) is possible.

We have seen this application in cases where alignment keys are being patterned
on the backside for future bond alignment, and also for the patterning of gross
etch features (such as large cavities).

However, fine feature definition is impossible, due both to the random height
differences, which will create various proximity distances and thus various line
widths, and to the fact that the surfaces are not normal to the exposure
radiation, causing random reflection, again making line widths vary (this effect
is even more pronounced with thicker films). If this manner of patterning is
required, DSP wafer are also likewise required.

Best Regards,

Chad Brubaker

EV Group-Technology, Tel: (602) 437 9492 x 119, Fax: (602) 437 9435