durusmail: mems-talk: Sputtering of Copper
Sputtering of Copper
Sputtering of Copper
Sumant Sood
2004-06-18
  Dipankar,

  It seems like the  base pressure is not good. You need to get
the base pressure  in to atleast -7 scale if not in -8 defenitely.
Also what is the purity of Ar gas you are using ?
Copper has very high effinity to form oxides.
So even a small amount of oxygen during sputtering can increase
the
resistivity of the film considerably.

Thanks
Sumant

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 Dipankar Ghosh wrote :
>Hi all,
>
>          I am trying to sputter thick Cu ( 1 um) in a DC
>sputtering system.my sputtering conditions are as follows :-
>
>base pr- 10 exp(-6) torr
>
>chamber pr -10 m torr
>
>Ar gas flow - 10 sccm.
>
>power - 250 W
>
>Target to substrate distance - 5 cm.
>
>my problem is that the resistivity of my deposited Cu is very
>high (24 micro ohm cm) which is about 15 times the bulk
>resistivity of Cu( 1.6 micro ohm cm).
>
>does anybody any any experience with deposition of thick Cu with
>low resistivity values.pls let me know.
>        Thanks in advance,
>                   Dipankar
>
>OFFICE ADDRESS :-
>
>MATERIALS RESEARCH CENTER,
>ROOM 322 , RB-1,
>1001 CAPABILITY DRIVE,
>CENTENNIAL CAMPUS, NCSU,
>RALEIGH ,
>NC 27695-7919
>USA
>
>PH- 919 515 5049
>FAX- 919 515 3419

>Hosted by the MEMS Exchange, providers of MEMS processing
>services.
>Visit us at http://www.memsnet.org/

Sumant Sood
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~ssood