durusmail: mems-talk: Bubbles in Photoresist
Bubbles in Photoresist
Vendors for AlN deposition by PVD (Sputtering or ARE) in USA
2005-11-07
Bubbles in Photoresist
Brubaker Chad
2005-11-07
Kris,

When I have observed bubbles in the photoresist after exposure that had
not been there before, there were only two real explanations I have
observed (although there may be others).

1) Insufficient removal of solvent. I realize from your description that
the bake seems pretty extensive, but the two steps you perform may
actually be conflicting.  The first step (long spin) causes solvent to
evaporate preferentially from the outer surface of the resist.  This
means that the outer surface will dry more rapidly, causing it to become
an anti-diffusion layer, trapping additional solvent within the lower
layers of the film, potentially even during the bake.  You may instead
wish to stop the spin after the film thickness has been established,
followed by a ramped proximity bake (i.e., place the wafer onto
proximity pins that will suspend it above the plate at a fixed distance
for a certain period of time, and then ramp that gap over time until
contact is made). This will cause the primary driving force for solvent
removal to occur from the bottom, thus causing it to continuously
migrate upwards.  You may also want to consider raising the bake
temperature.

2) To aggressive of an exposure - the exposure is heating up the resist
or causing nitrogen to evolve.  There are a couple solutions to this.
One would be to reduce the exposure intensity.  The second would be to
allow for cool down or diffusion by performing an interval exposure.
This is where the exposure occurs in several partial exposure steps (or
intervals).  Some aligner systems (such as the EVG620) can do this in an
automated manner, allowing programming of both the interval dose/time,
and the "rest" time between exposures, all while maintaining a specified
contact mode.

Best Regards,
Chad Brubaker