durusmail: mems-talk: Trench Filling and PDMS suspending
Trench Filling and PDMS suspending
Trench Filling and PDMS suspending
Beggans Michael H IHMD
2006-07-26
Jianhua,

I found that cake icing works very well for filling trenches. You dilute it
with a little water and use a needle to inject it. Or pour it on and use a
squeegee to remove the excess. Bake at 325F for about 10-15 minutes and it's
solid (otherwise it will stay gel-like for a very long time - days). After
patterning your PDMS (haven't done that myself), you can either bake the
icing off at high temperature or soak the whole wafer in hot water for
several hours. Best part, you can eat the rest of the icing if you get
hungry.

Or you can use a negative photoresist with the mask you used to define the
trenches in the first place. Slow spin to reduce the effects of the trenches
on uniformity. Might need a little hard bake after exposure and developing
to prevent the solvents in the PDMS from messing up the photoresist. Acetone
or hot NMP to remove the photoresist after patterning PDMS.

Good luck.

Mike

Dr. Michael H. Beggans
Naval Surface Warfare Center, Indian Head
101 Strauss Ave. Bldg. 302            Phone: (301) 744-1927
Indian Head, MD 20640                  Fax:    (301) 744-6406