durusmail: mems-talk: Glass to glass bonding
about double coating and lithography of thick SPR220
Glass to glass bonding
Glass to glass bonding
Joseph Grogan
2006-11-08
You cannot anodically bond glass to glass with SiO2 in between them. The
way anodic bonding works is that the glass is heated to the point where
alkali ions (usually sodium) become mobile. When you apply a large
voltage (maybe ~1000V) the ions are pulled to the cathode (negative
side) leaving a depleted negative charge on the glass surface which then
gets attracted down to the other substrate (traditionally silicon) and
bonds. To bond glass to glass, you need to put a diffusion barrier in
between the glass, so that the top glass has something to reach down and
bond to, otherwise the sodium from the bottom glass just gets pulled up
into the top glass and no bonding occurs. SiO2 (glass) does not serve as
a diffusion barrier for sodium since the process is based on sodium
being mobile in glass at high temperature. For a good list of usable
films as diffusion barriers check this paper:
"Glass-to-glass anodic bonding with standard IC technology thin films as
intermediate layers" Berthod et al, Sensors and Actuators, 2000.

I've never tried doing it, but I don't believe it's possible to bond
quartz to quartz because there are no mobile ions to migrate around. You
might be able to bond pyrex to quartz since the quartz has no ions to
leech across the gap, however, you need to make sure that you have
matched thermal expansion coefficients otherwise the thing will bond and
then shatter when it cools.

PDMS bonding is a finiky art if you've never done it before. The key is
low power plasma for short time. I believe the reason is that long time
high power forms a glassy layer on the PDMS which prevents bonding. I
found this paper to be particularly helpful for settings and cleaning
procedures: "Three-Dimensional Micro-Channel Fabrication in
Polydimethylsiloxane(PDMS) Elastomer" Byung-Ho Jo, Journal of
Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol 9. No 1, 2000.

good luck,
Joe Grogan

Hyun Chul Jung wrote:
> Hello guys.
>
> I am having difficult time to bond glass to glass. Bottom substrate has
> 2um wide and deep microfluidic channels and electrodes (Ti/Au
> 200/1000A). Top substrate is just plain pyrex 7740.
> I have been trying two methods so far.
>
> First one is anodic bonding.
> I deposited SiO2 on top substrate using Ebeam evaporator. Tried to bond
> using anodic bond. It did not work.
>
> Second method is PDMS to glass bonding.
> First of all, I spined coat PDMS liquid on top substrate around 6um
> thickness and curing for 30 min at 180C on hotplate. Cool down it for
> while. Oxygen plasma treatment on both side of substrate and then place
> them together. It did not work either.
>
> If I miss some steps, please correct me. I will really appreciate if you
> guys give me any comments or recommendation.
> Thanks.
reply