durusmail: mems-talk: PDMS Sealing over Au?!
PDMS Sealing over Au?!
PDMS Sealing over Au?!
N H
2007-06-25
Thank you very much for your reply Dr. Grogan.

I agree with you about the difficulty on bonding PDMS on Au directly,
you are completely right. But, i know that there is some few groups
around the world able to functionalize Au surfaces with organic
molecules.
I will try make ITO, but I have some doubts on if it will work well in
my application, because there are questions concerning on interactions
between the electrodes surfaces and organic molecules. We actually had
done Ti-Au multi-layer electrodes, able to be sealed very well and
with excellent conductivity, but the electrical response due the
contact with the organic molecules we had used were completely lost by
the lack of "good interactions" on Ti surface.

Thank you very much again!!
[8^)
NH

>From: Joseph Grogan
>To: General MEMS discussion
>Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:27:53 -0400
>Subject: Re: [mems-talk] PDMS Sealing over Au?!
>Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think you'll ever
>get PDMS to bond to Au in the same way it bonds to glass, ti or cr. When
>you plasma activate PDMS it will bond to oxides, and since Au doesn't
>oxidize significantly, you probably won't be able to bond to it. I
>haven't tried it myself, but I imagine ITO (indium tin oxide) would be a
>good material to use as an electrode for PDMS to bond to.
>-Joe Grogan
reply