durusmail: mems-talk: Re: Mechanical properties of silicon
Re: Mechanical properties of silicon
Re: Mechanical properties of silicon
John Karpinsky
1998-08-05
Brian,

The book "Micromachine Transducers Sourcebook" by Gregory T. A. Kovacs
published by McGraw-Hill 1998 has material properties on p. 26.  To save you a
little time finding the book, for single crystal silicon, he gives the Yield
Strength = 7*10^9 N/m2, Knoop Hardness = 850 Kg/mm2, Young's Modulus = 190
GPa, Density = 2.3 g/cm3, Thermal Conductivity = 1.57 W/cm*K, Thermal
Expansion Coefficient = 2.33*10^-6/K.  He says that silicon is anisotropic to
crystal orientation, but does not give any values for different orientations.
Thus, I presume that these are crystal orientation averaged numbers.

--
John R. Karpinsky  ---  Chief Physicist
MEMS Optical, Inc., 205 Import Circle, Huntsville, AL 35806

reply