durusmail: mems-talk: SU-8 (micro)bubbles
SU-8 (micro)bubbles
2007-12-14
SV: [mems-talk] SU-8 (micro)bubbles
SU-8 (micro)bubbles
Herman Walgraeve - TNW
2007-12-19
Hi Chad and Peng,

Thanks for Your comments.

Syringes with the black o-ring are not used in the cleanroom, because of
those things You mentioned.
The way of dispensing is not the cause of those bubbles of 1 um ; it
causes bigger bubbles, different in size.
I cover the whole wafer with SU-8 by "painting" with the syringe before
spinning. If I leave the edge of the wafer free from resist, after
spinning, these areas have the bigger - irregular in size - bubbles.
The homogeneous spread 1 um bubbles have an other cause. Boiling effects
during bake? Heating of the resist during lithography by the chromium
mask? (I use hard contact mode near UV).

Maybe it is related with the thickness I am using (10-20 um).  They are
not easy to observe, so maybe they exist in thicker layers. With a
microscope -light on top and some filters make them visible.
Peng, with SEM , You can not always see them on the surface (pivots).
Ones I had badly prepared a wafer with a too thin gold layer for SEM-ing
and could see the "craters". A "too thick" layer gold covers them
completely.

Now I degassed (by heating) the SU-8, already present in syringes, and
will look how it turns out.

Thanks again for discussing this topic!

Regards,

Herman.