From: "Curtis, Mark E."
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:44 AM
Subject: [mems-talk] RIE removal of S1818 photoresist

Hello all,

I’m using Shipley S1818 positive photoresist as a mask for wet-etching a
100
nm thick film of chromium.  After using a wet chemical photoresist stripper
there remains some photoresist residue on the surface of the chromium.
I’ve
attempt to use a Trion RIE to remove the photoresist residue with the
following etch parameters:
Gases/Flow Rate (O2/50 sccm),
Pressure (500 mTorr),
RIE Power (25 W), ICP Power (500 W), and
Time (30 min).

To my surprise, I found that not only did it remove the photoresist but also
the chromium.  Does anyone know of a good photoresist removal recipe for RIE
that will not etch chromium.  I have previously tried a shorter etch time
(~10 min) but it did not completely remove the photoresist residue.

Mark E. Curtis
reply