From: mems-talk-bounces@memsnet.org
[mailto:mems-talk-bounces@memsnet.org] On Behalf Of
jgrogan@seas.upenn.edu
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:54 PM
To: General MEMS discussion; Bill Moffat
Subject: Re: [mems-talk] Oxygen plasma

As an aside, make sure that the pump you get is compatible with oxygen
processes, which means it uses synthetic oil (or a dry pump). I had a
bad experience with a vendor who insisted on selling me a system with a
pump that had regular hydrocarbon oil, despite the advice of several
pump companies that I consulted who all told me the same thing: it will
blow up!

-Joe Grogan

Quoting Bill Moffat :

> The frequency of the plasma generator is not important.  The major
> importance is the power delivered to the surface you wish to treat.
>  Natural plasma include Lightning, D.C. but high voltage because it
> is at atmospheric pressure.  Aurora Borealis, the Earths magnetic
> field at high atmosphere, low pressure, acting on ionized particles
> from sun spots.  1 revolution per day.  Fluorescent light 50 to 60
> cycles per second.  Low frequency RF up to 100 KH/Z usually
> capacitive systems.  High frequency RF usually 13.54 MH/Z typically
> inductive systems.  Microwave 2.54 GK/Z older single wafer plasma
> strippers.  If the glass is flat and the flat surface is the surface
> you want to bond to a capacitive system would be the most
> efficient.   Call me or email me direct and I will give you lots of
> details of  plasma bonding.
reply