durusmail: mems-talk: Questions regarding silane coating and surface cleaning
Questions regarding silane coating and surface cleaning
Questions regarding silane coating and surface cleaning
Joshua Tice
2008-10-07
In my experience, silicon wafers can be treated with silane in a desiccator
without any plasma treatment.  PDMS, however, usually has to be oxidized
before you expose it to the silane vapors.

I've used two plasma systems for oxidizing PDMS.  One was from Harrick
scientific (their expanded plasma cleaner model), and the other from SPI
supplies (plasma prep II).  I preferred the one from SPI supplies.  Neither
of these can clean like a RIE, but they are sufficient for making the
surfaces of PDMS, glass, and silicon reactive.

Josh

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:53 PM, 김태진  wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to treat Silicon wafers or PDMS with Silane to make it
> hydrophobic.
> As far as I recall, all I need is a dessicator.
>
> But someone told me that I need a plasma asher for it.
> Is this true? How exactly do I coat Silane on surfaces?
>
> Also, I'm trying to purchase a cost effective plasma system for Silicon,
> glass and PDMS surface cleaning.
>
> My second question is: is a microwave type oxygen plasma system good enough
> for surface cleaning?

Joshua Tice

Graduate Research Assistant
Kenis Research Group
Dept. of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
Roger Adams Laboratory, Room 216A, Box C3
600 South Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL 61801
217-333-2442 (office)
217-244-8068 (fax)