durusmail: mems-talk: hard ashing polymer (if Al deposited): possible isotropic etch by ICP?
hard ashing polymer (if Al deposited): possible isotropic etch by ICP?
hard ashing polymer (if Al deposited): possible isotropic etch by ICP?
Edward Sebesta
2009-01-30
Dear Onny,

          The Al is over the SiNx so it can't be leaving a residue on
the polymer and so it shouldn't have an effect. Though if you want to
try a different metal, give it a try. It would likely give some insight
whether the test is successful or not. I patented a stupid process years
ago with Al over polyimide and got it to life off quite easily in an old
Tegal etcher.

You say, "But the cantilevers in sample no. 1 seemed stuck to the
substrate." I would SEM them and see what is actually happening. It
might be that the Al/SiNx ribbon is flexing downward or falling
downward. Or doing polymer removal the stip is curling down at the
edges. (rather fanciful speculation I know.) A SEM could be very
informative.

Again, try NMP it will clean off easily resist burnt on hot plates,
labels, attack clean room gloves and most everything.

I am assuming your process is:

1. Spin polymer
2. Deposit SiNx
3. Deposit Al