durusmail: mems-talk: Pd as an adhesion layer?
Pd as an adhesion layer?
Pd as an adhesion layer?
Don Friedrich
2009-03-18
Ti, Cr, Al and Ta metals are used generally as adhesion layers because
they are extremely reactive to trace oxygen and form metal-oxide-SiO2
interfaces.  You need some metal that will form a covalent oxide bond to
the SiO2 surface and also will alloy with Pt.  Noble metals such as Pd
might not form a strong oxide. For example, Ni does not adhere strongly,
and therefore needs an adhesion layer. Pt and Pd are in the same group.
Another approach may be to use high energy sputtering, such as pulse
sputtering.  That method was used to make Ni metal adhere to lithium
niobate without an adhesion layer.

Good luck.

Don Friedrich
JDSU