durusmail: mems-talk: PDMS flow cell bonding to silicon
PDMS flow cell bonding to silicon
2009-04-02
PDMS flow cell bonding to silicon
Dirk Renckens - TNW
2009-04-03
Dear Willie,

PDMS bonded to silicon can generally withstand only a few bar
overpressure before delamination. Depending on the flow the flow you
want to use in your channels, the pressure drop generated may very well
exceed the delamination pressure. I would advise estimating the pressure
drop.

Pressure drop correlations for rectangular geometries can be found
(amongst others) in:
Shah - Laminar Flow Forced Convection in Ducts (1978), Chapter 5

Because I do not know the exact geometry you are using, a paper on the
deformation of PDMS channels by pressure drop due to flow might also
interest you:
Gervais - Lab Chip 6 500 (2006)

Good luck. If you are having trouble, feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,

Dirk Renckens
Chem Eng PhD Candidate
Delft University of Technology