durusmail: mems-talk: PDMS flow cell bonding to silicon
PDMS flow cell bonding to silicon
2009-04-02
PDMS flow cell bonding to silicon
Pavan Samudrala
2009-04-07
Hi Willie,

I had good success in bonding PDMS chip to glass (alumina surface) not on
silicon though. The bonding is due to the -OH linkage between substrate and
PDMS surface. I had to do an oxygen ash (or you can do RIE at very low
power) to clean the surface, dip in water to create -OH bonds on the
surface. Similarly you have to clean the surface of the silicon too, and
gently place the PDMS chip on the substrate. Baking at lower temperatures
may also help. I also put some weight on PDMS channels to ensure that whole
surface is in contact with the substrate. I am not sure how long it takes
for good bond, but I used to take it out next day and they were pretty good.

I completely agree with Dirk and Joe too.

Regards,
Pavan

--
Pavan Samudrala