durusmail: mems-talk: KOH and TMAH etch masks other than SiN for long Si etch
KOH and TMAH etch masks other than SiN for long Si etch
KOH and TMAH etch masks other than SiN for long Si etch
KOH and TMAH etch masks other than SiN for long Si etch
Shao Guocheng
2009-04-22
Hi, there:

When using SiO2 as the mask layer in KOH or TMAH etching, Thermal SiO2 is way
better than sputtering SiO2. But I dont think it can sustain for a 500um silicon
etching. I have done wet etching up to 400um with 2um thermal SiO2 as mask layer
and 35% KOH as etchant (forgot about the temperature, but it's around 65C). Dont
know much about the TMAH additive xiaoguang just mentioned, but sounds like
something worth looking at.

As for the case with metal as mask layer, I remember reading paper that says it
served well for deep etching. However, I think you need to closely inspect your
sputtering metal layer to make sure there's no pinholes or anything in that
nature.

good luck

Guocheng Shao