durusmail: mems-talk: Lithography on Cu foils
Lithography on Cu foils
Lithography on Cu foils
Carsten Dehoff
2009-05-05
Pavan,

I did PZT-CSD and Litho (Pt Lift-off with AZ5214) on Cr/Ni Metal foils
(10um thick, 1x1inch).

I designed a "sample holder" consisting of 2 parts (stainless steel, V2A):
One back plate (diameter 2") with a 1x1inch rectangular stamp (of
2-3mm height) in the middle.
2nd was a frame with an outer diameter of 2" and a window of 1.x x
1.x" (plus x (0.1-0.5mm) space for clamping the foil - try to find
best fit for your foils).
Thickness of the frame is slightly lower than height of the stamp - so
the litho-mask can have reasonable good contact to the foil.
Foil is placed of the stamp (size is a bit larger than 1x1 inch).
Frame clamps foil and stamp together and than the frame is mounted to
back plate using 4 small screws.

Since the whole thing is a bit weighty be sure to have a good vacuum
chuck for fixing the whole package on spin coater. For me it worked up
to 4000rpm - so well enough.  (when you limit your temp. to max 200°C
choose Al instead of V2A)

Our min feature size was "only" about several microns - for that it
worked fine.

Usable area is a bit less than 1x1 inch because the edge of the foil
is crunched because of the clamping. When those parts were removed you
can get a slight (or more intense) bending of the foil.

Problem: Once the foil is removed you can't get it back in the holder
(crunchy or cut edges)!

Hope this helps,

Carsten

adhering the substrate to a wafer or a mask blank.  The adhesive you use will
depend on your downstream processes.  You might try one of the crystal bond
thermal adhesives.

> -Michael

> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had experience doing lithography on foils. I am
> trying to pattern 3um features on a foil using MA8 and cannot get the foil
> flat to the surface of photomask. I tried bonding the borders of the foil to
> rectangular frame but still had some wrinkles (folds) which makes it
> difficult to pattern. The backside of the foil is also important and cannot
> destroy it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pavan Samudrala

reply