durusmail: mems-talk: Metal electrodeposition rate
Metal electrodeposition rate
Metal electrodeposition rate
Oakes Garrett
2009-07-06
It has been my experience with copper electroplating (35 µm tall structures, 50
µm thick resist, predominantly circles with some crosses and short lines, Cu/Ni
seed) that features with CD's below 20 µm will plate at different rates that
features with CD's above 20 µm.

I studied a case in some detail (from a litho perspective) a few years ago with
a range of feature sizes (5 - 50 µm at 5 µm increments).  As stated above, the
20 - 50 µm features plated at roughly the same rate across the entire wafer
surface.  The 15 µm features showed some decrease in plating rate and the rate
continued to drop with shrinking via dimension.  Diffusion of copper ions to the
plating surface was our suspect for the reduced plating rate.  We didn't believe
at the time that we had any wetting/trapped air issues that would lead to a
delayed start or stall in plating.

Jumping to a conclusion, the important value is most likely the aspect ratio of
thickness to lateral dimension.  This one case suggests that a ratio of roughly
5:2 is the critical plating aspect ratio for circles.

My response is a very short treatment of a complex subject.  I would like to see

Best Regards,

Garrett Oakes

EV Group
invent * innovate * implement
Regional Sales Manager North America - Direct: +1 (480) 305 2443, Main: +1 (480)
305 2400 Fax: +1 (480) 305 2401
Cell: +1 (480) 516 6724