durusmail: mems-talk: microvalve
microvalve
Albert Henning
2009-07-30
What do you mean by 'barb diameter'?

What are your *real* specifications?  Flow, power, pressure drop, fluid
material, Cv, temperature range, control range, accuracy, resolution.

Absent those parameters, it seems to me you care only about packaging
connections to your existing system.  (Or, said another way:  why do you
need a *micro* valve?)

In that event, buy the smallest valve/package you can, then make your
own interface.  SMC makes very small valves, as does Clippard and a
number of other companies.  Or, buy raw valves from a company like
Microstaq (if they will sell them to you), and mount in your own
package.  Or, contract with Quake's lab at Stanford to build some PDMS
valves, then mount them yourself into the right package.  (Note that
Stanford cannot make for you devices which will go into commercial
products.)

There used to be a company in Germany (Hoerbiger) which sold small
piezoelectric valves, with very small barb connectors, but I don't know
if you can get them anymore.  The URL below shows pictures, but the
connectors look bigger than you want, so again you'd be forced to build
your own interface.

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/hoerbiger-automatisierungstechnik/int
rinsically-safe-piezoelectric-valve-for-pneumatics-5764-125827.html

Albert K. Henning, PhD
Director of MEMS Technology
NanoInk, Inc.
215 E. Hacienda Avenue