durusmail: mems-talk: etching of Cr/Pt/Au stack
etching of Cr/Pt/Au stack
etching of Cr/Pt/Au stack
Prasanna Srinivasan
2009-07-31
Hi Nidhi,

You may use ion beam milling but the problem is selectivity of gold is more
compared to platinum. Even if you have very thick resist, erosion during
milling process may cause transfer the resist profiles to gold.

You may try the following options which has very good selectivity for Pt
compared to that of gold.

1. Piranha etch soultion was found etch Pt at a greater rate than that of
the gold. It is roughly about 2- 3 nm/min. Gold is almost unattacked by
Piranha.

2. You can also try SF6+O2. The etch rate is twice that of the previous one
(about 7 - 10 nm/min). Gold was almost insensitive when subjected to these
gases.

3. You can also try CR-14. I have not tried this one but some say it works
and have good selectivity for Pt.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
Prasanna