durusmail: mems-talk: Positive vs. Negative Resists in MEMS processing
Positive vs. Negative Resists in MEMS processing
Positive vs. Negative Resists in MEMS processing
James Paul Grant
2009-10-29
Jie,

This is true however I'd suggest your findings are more likely a result
of the exposure tool rather than a property of the resist itself. Here
at Glasgow Uni our resist profiles are similar to what you say but this
is because of our exposure tool.

A discussion of positive versus negative photoresists would take a
while. I'll just say that in choosing a particular type of resist for an
application one should consider things like:

Area to be patterned

Will the mask be used for an additive or subtractive process?

If used for a subtractive process the etch resistance of the mask is
important (many e-beam resists, such as PMMA, suffer in this aspect).

Cost (the high end Chemcially amplified negative e-beam resists are very
expensive, especially for a research institute)

Resolution required

I don't like advertising other universities however the Stanford SNF
website is an excellent resource.

http://snf.stanford.edu/Process/Process.html

You will find details of photo and e-beam resists they commonly use.

This gives a good idea of what is out there.

Cheers

James

--
Dr. James Paul Grant