durusmail: mems-talk: DRIE with SF6 and CHF3
DRIE with SF6 and CHF3
DRIE with SF6 and CHF3
Robert Ditizio
2010-08-04
Marcel:

It is not surprising that you "did not get significant results" with
your RIE system.  You do not describe the configuration of your RIE
system but if it is not inductively coupled, and does not have the large
power supplies typical of ICP-based DRIE systems, then it is likely that
you are getting very low etch and passivation rates.  In order to get a
deep silicon etch process out of this system, you may need to approach
the development a little differently.

You might consider collecting an etch rate for the silicon with SF6 to
determine the duration required for the etch step of the cyclic Bosch
process.  Running a process for 7sec is not as relevant as running for a
duration sufficient to etch a target etch depth into the silicon.  A
typical depth for the etch step, for example, might be 0.5 to 1um.  You
will want to target the duration of the SF6 etch step to reach this
depth.  If your silicon etch rate is only about 1um/min, then your SF6
etch step would need to be run for 60sec, not 7sec, in your reactor.
The ultimate duration will depend on the sidewall roughness that you can
tolerate for your application but these numbers are provided as an
example.

For the passivation step, you will need to set the duration of the CHF3
passivation step so that you get sufficient sidewall coverage to prevent
isotropic etching of the sidewall.  You may need to try a few different
deposition times to determine the time required to provide sufficient
coverage to prevent sidewall attack, without overdoing the exposure.
Too much deposition will lead to narrowing of the opening.  It is also
important to remember that you need to remove the passivation from the
bottom of the trench at the start of each SF6 step before you can
continue with the etching of the silicon.

You don't mention if you are biasing the wafer but you will need to have
the substrate biased to get a reasonable etch rate for the silicon.  You
also don't mention anything about the pressure range that you can
operate.  Typical pressures for deep silicon etching fall into a very
wide range, from 30 to >200mT.  If your etcher is capacitively coupled,
you are likely to be limited to upper end of this range.  Most deep
silicon etch processes run at high gas flow rates of hundreds of sccm.

The process in the original Bosch patent was described using SF6 as the
etchant and CHF3 as the passivant, so there is precedent in using this
combination. Good luck with your process development.

Robert Ditizio
Tegal Corporation