durusmail: mems-talk: Etching of ALD titania (TiO2)
Etching of ALD titania (TiO2)
Etching of ALD titania (TiO2)
MRC gmail
2013-11-05
Dear Gianmario.

Surely only limited case of porous TiO2 can be etched in HF based
solution.
There is some report about plasma etching of ALD deposited TiO2 but I
guess that is not an option for you.

Below link is thesis about wet etching several oxide film and it says
some alkaline solution can etch TiO2(even the HF is not working)

http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:379517/FULLTEXT01.pdf

Hope this can help you.

Myung Rae

On Tue Nov  5 02:18:32 2013, Gianmario Scotti wrote:
> I only need to etch 50 nm, but HF doesn't work with ALD TiO2 - it doesn't
> etch it at all.
>

> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM, 조명래  wrote:
>
>> I Am not sure how much the thickness you wanna etch. How about starting
>> with conventional titanium etchant? Of course HF based etchant is dangerous
>> but it surely have selectivity over Si.
>> 2013. 11. 1. 오전 8:22에 "Gianmario Scotti" 님이
>> 작성:
>>
>>> Dear MEMS researchers,
>>>

>>> do you know of a wet etchant that would remove ALD TiO2 from silicon?
>> Some
>>> of my colleagues told me that they don't know of anything suitable for
>> ALD
>>> films of TiO2 - only TiO2 nanoparticles. Incredulous, I hit google, but
>>> came up with nothing - apparently, continuous films of TiO2 are quite a
>>> challenge to etch with wet etchants.
>>>
>>> Would any of you have a recipe that was tested as working with ALD TiO2?
>>>

>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gianmario Scotti
>>>
>>> Researcher
>>> Aalto University, Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering
>>> http://materials.aalto.fi/en/
>>>
>>> Micronova, Tietotie 3
>>> 02150 Espoo
>>> Finland