durusmail: mems-talk: Re: TMAH resistant wax
Re: TMAH resistant wax
Re: TMAH resistant wax
Amit Shiwalkar
1999-04-12
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Shivalik Bakshi wrote:

> Dear MEMS Researchers,
>
> Would you know of a wax material that I can use to protect one side of a wafer
while etching the other side in TMAH (or EDP)?

> Thanks,
> Shivalik

Dear Mr.Shivalik,
                You could use simple bee wax or use PTFE (teflon). Both
these material easily withstand EDP/TMAH.
                A better option is to use 2000 A of Si3N4 and a 4 gram of
pyrazine to your mixture. I have presented below a section of the recipes
compiled by  microlab at Univ. of Berkley. You do get a etch rate of Si3N4
of 70 A/ hr. Hence can serve as a mask, and better because deposition,
etc. is done using standard Silicon fabrication techniques.
                I have tried many of the recipes mentioned below and they
are quite accurate and with some minor modifications you can have a
excellent backside protection.

**********************Recipe  compilation by Univ. of Berkley**********

EDP Etchant for Single Crystal Silicon

          EDP etchant can be used  on  p-type  wafers  with  <100>
          orientation, masked with either silicon dioxide or sili-
          con nitride.  It leaves a cleaner, smoother silicon sur-
          face with partial etch than KOH (see below). Heavy boron
          doping acts as an etch stop for EDP.  Since EDP does not
          etch  oxide,  it is important to remember to dip off any
          native oxide from the silicon surfaces to be  etched  in
          HF  solution.   Etch  rates  and  temperatures are given
          below. Complete instructions on the use of EDP are given
          in Chapter 1.3 of the lab manual.

     *    Ethylenediamine NH2O(CH2)2NH2   1 mole = 50.10 g

          Pyrocatechol    C6H4(OH2)       1 mole = 109.1 g

          Water           H2O             1 mole = 18.02g

     *    1.  F & K Etchant - Finne & Klein, Bell  Labs  @  Murray
          Hill.   J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 114, No. 9, September

          1967, pp. 965-970

              Ethylenediamine         500 ml          35.1 mole%
              Pyrocatechol            88 g            3.7 mole%
              Water                   234 ml          61.2 mole%

              Etch temp:              110C
              Etch Rate ratio:        <100>:<110>:<111>  50:30:3
              Initial Etch Rate:      28 Mm/hr
              Oxygen Exposure:        up to >50 Mm/hr
              Mask Resistance:        SiO2               200A/hr.

          This is the earliest reported EDP (or EPW)  composition.
          It  is generally used in the temperature range 100-118C.
          At lower temperatures it  develops  insoluble  residues.
          This  composition, as well as other uncatalyzed EDP com-
          positions, tends to 'age' rapidly with exposure to  oxy-
          gen.   The etch rate increases with time to 50 Mm/hr and
          higher.

          The addition of pyrazine increases the <100>  etch  rate
          while making it less sensitive to oxygen exposre.  Pyra-
          zine has a very small effect on the <111> etch  rate  so
          the  <100>/<111>  ratio increases with pyrazine content.
          The sselectivity to boron content is reported by Reisman
          et  al.  to  be  similar for the F & K, B, and S etches.
          Also, the smoothness of the etching surface is  improved
          by  the  asddition of 0-6 g/L pyrazine.  8 g/> has shown
          some unevenness, <111> pyramids form,  possibly  due  to
          the very high <100>/<111> etching ratio.  IBM recommends
          4 g of pyrazine to every liter of ethylenediamine for  a
          smooth surface.

     *    2. "B" Etchant E. Bassous, IBM Research Center, Yorktown
          Heights, N.Y., U.S. Patent 3,921,916 (1975).

              Ethylenediamine         500 ml
              Pyrocatechol            80 g
              Water                   160 ml

              Temperature Range:      100-118C
              Boiling Point:          118C

          <100> Etch Rate (with pyrazine added):

                           Pyrazine per 500 ml Ethylenediamine
                              0 g          1.0 g       3.6 g

                  @ 100C    14 Mm/hr     42 Mm/hr     50 Mm/hr
                  @ 115C    26 Mm/hr     65 Mm/hr     75 Mm/hr

          Mask Resistance:

              SiO2    150A/hr
              Si3N4   80A/hr

          This  composition  with  or  without  pyrazine  provides
          residure-free etching above 100C.

     *    2.  "F" (Fast) Etchant A. Reisman et al.,  IBM  Research
          Center, Yorktown Heights, N.Y., J. Electrochemical Soc.,
          Vol 126, No. 8, August 1979, pp. 1406-1415.

              Ethylenediamine         500 ml
              Pyrocatechol            160 g
              Water                   160 ml

          Temperature Range:      100-118C

          <100> Etch Rate (with pyrazine added):

                           Pyrazine per 500 ml Ethylenediamine
                              0 g          1.0 g       3.0 g

                  @ 115C    27 Mm/hr     68 Mm/hr     81 Mm/hr

     *    3.  "S" (Slow) Etchant  A.  Reisman  et  al.,  IBM  Research
          Center, Yorktown Heights, N.Y., J. Electrochemical Soc., Vol
          126, No. 8, August 1979, pp. 1406-1415.

              Ethylenediamine         500 ml
              Pyrocatechol            80 g
              Water                   66 ml

          Temperature Range:      50-115C

          <100> Etch Rate (with pyrazine added):

                      Pyrazine per 500 ml Ethylenediamine

                                                  3.6 g

                               @ 50C            4.5 Mm/hr
                               @ 75C            13 Mm/hr
                               @ 95C            26 Mm/hr

                              @ 105C            34 Mm hr
                              @ 115C            45 Mm/hr

     *    4.  "M" (Medium) Etchant Based on  A.  Reisman  et  al.,  as
          above.

          This etch is useful for etching below the boiling  point  in
          order  to  minimize  agitation of the wafer.  It etches at a
          rate between the "F" and "S" etches (hence "M" for  medium).
          This etch prevents the formation of residues by the "F" etch
          by slowing oxidation of the surface through the reduction of
          the water content.

              Ethylenediamine         500 ml
              Pyrocatechol            160 g
              Water                   125 ml

          Temperature Range:      105C

          <100> Etch Rate (with pyrazine added):

                           Pyrazine per 500 ml Ethylenediamine
                                 3.0 g

                  @ 115C        63 Mm/hr

          Other references:

          K.E. Petersen, Proc. IEEE, vol. 70, No.  5,  May  1982,  pp.
          420-457.

          K.E.  Bean,  IEEE  Trans.  ED-25,  No.  10,  October   1978,
          pp.1185-1193.

          N.F. Raley etal., J. Electrochemical Soc., vol.  131,  No.1,
          january 1984, pp.161-171.

reply