durusmail: mems-talk: adhesives
adhesives
Brubaker Chad
2002-01-14
There are actually a wide variety of materials that could be used for this
process, depending on the process you wish to use to apply the material.
Off of the top of my head, I can think of three basic types:

1. Thermoplastic film:  This would be a film that would be applied through
application of heat and pressure.  Various materials are WaferGrip (wax,
heat release - Dynatex), StayStik (general adhesive, high temp, solvent
release - Cookson), Ablestik (general adhesive, low temp, solvent release).

2. Thermoplastic spin on material:  This is a material that would be spun on
using a resist coater (in some cases, requiring modification).  Various
materials: photoresist, GenTak (general adhesive, various grades, solvent
release - General Chemical), Staystick - paste form (see above)

3. Dry Film Materials - This would be a film that is applied via a tape roll
(either manually, or by a taping machine).  Only one comes to mind at the
moment:  Revalpha (Nitto Denko). This is effectively a tape with adhesive
material on both sides.  However, this is a thermal release film, meaning
that, when a certain threshold temperature is reached (depending on grade),
one side of the adhesive will undergo a chemical reaction that will cause
the material to become gaseous, allowing a total release of the substrate.
This may be the best case for thin substrates, as there will be little to no
"peeling" force required to remove the substrate.

Best Regards,

Chad Brubaker

 <<...OLE_Obj...>>

EV Group-Technology, Tel: (602) 437 9492 x 111, Fax: (602) 437 9435
E-mail: C.Brubaker@evgroup.com , Web:
www.EVGroup.com, 01/14/02

 <>