durusmail: qp: Occasional bugs with durus
Occasional bugs with durus
Occasional bugs with startup
Occasional bugs with durus
David Binger
2007-03-27
On Mar 26, 2007, at 10:31 PM, David K. Hess wrote:

> However, if durus *did* happen to be running, will I run into a new
> race condition between the previous durus giving up the lock on the
> database file before the new one tries to lock it?

I think there will always be the remote possibility of a race,
even if we check that locks are available.    The critical thing
is that only one writer wins the race.

> Pondering how to handle that makes me start to think that maybe
> is_durus_running might be best off trying to get a lock on the
> database file.

I think that is interesting, but it just moves a potential
race to a different place, since the lock must be released
before the real durus server starts.

We do have a similar is_web_running() function that does
not have a lock to examine.

reply