durusmail: quixote-users: An issue
An issue
Mikhail Sobolev
2001-11-23
On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 12:08:34PM -0500, Greg Ward wrote:
> >     http://localhost/probe/private/log
> >     http://localhost/probe/private/log/
> >     http://localhost/probe/private/log/?entry=1
> >     http://localhost/probe/private/log?entry=1

> Hmmm... I wonder why #4 doesn't get redirected to #3.  It probably
> should, for consistency with the #1 -> #2 redirect.
This is what I'd expect.

> Ooh, things are not so simple.  Our web site uses a similar feature; if
> you go to
>   http://fab.mems-exchange.org/user/?/foo
>
> you will login and then be redirected to /foo.  (That way, we can let
> people poke around the site and login only when they try to do something
> that requires authorization.)  The URL looks funny because of the "/?/",
> but it makes sense if you think about it -- and, more importantly, it
> works!
Sorry, I do not get it. :(  If I understand correctly, everything after
'?' will be consumed by form.  If you do use such a construction, I'd
suppose that you "hack" the query string directly...  That's what I
tried to avoid.

> However, if I try to access
>   http://fab.mems-exchange.org/user?/foo
> then I am redirected to
>   http://fab.mems-exchange.org/user/
> -- ie. the fix-trailing-slash redirect *is* done, but it loses the query
> string.  Oops!
>
> I think that's a bug, but it's not consistent with what you're seeing,
> Mikhail.  Are you running Quixote 0.4.2?  (Should be revision 1.103 of
> publish.py.)
Yes.

Well, I may not understand it properly, as result for implementing what
seems natural to me, I get all those troubles.

I'm trying to implement a simple log.  You can list entries, add
entries, view entries.   For that I see the following set of URLs:

    .../log             -- gives basic information about the log
    .../log/  -- shows the specified entry
    .../log[/]?entry=id -- seems to be also necessary for forms
    .../log/list        -- view a number of recent entries
    .../log/list/all    -- view all of them

The error I got for the third case.  Without thinking I put
and got an error, when I changed it log/, it started to work, but what I thought was understanding of some kind, left me. :) -- Misha
reply