durusmail: durus-users: Durus 3.7 and Windows
Durus 3.7 and Windows
Durus 3.7 and Windows
David Binger
2007-08-15
On Aug 15, 2007, at 6:43 PM, Matthew Scott wrote:

> I'll try my best to get these modified accordingly too -- it would be
> nice if at least _most_ of the unit tests passed on Windows, so that
> future versions of Durus will be easier to verify Windows
> compatibility with :-)

I would like that, and as of this afternoon, I am equipped to help.
I finally took the time to get my Python 2.5.1 on Vista on Parallels on
MacBook Pro setup working.  I was able to run some unit tests
this afternoon. The first thing I noticed is that Popen4 can't be
imported
from popen2,  but "popen4" can.

> Pat O'Brien is usually pretty keen on high performance:opcode ratios,
> and his influence on me over the years is probably what prompted me to
> include that code in the first place.

Understood.  I guess I'm more interested in keeping the source code as
easy as possible to understand.  In fact, when I edited file.py to
include
the different versions of several methods depending on the os.name,
I retreated, realizing that I had been down that path before and the
pattern in the current code is really the pattern I prefer.  I just
put the
conditional flush in the current write() method and I do like it that
way.
The extra time for the "if" must surely be tiny compared to the time
of the underlying write(), even without the extra flush().

> We have a lot of code in Schevo where a method will do something like
> this at the beginning, in order to speed up loops and especially
> nested loops that rely on those variables a lot:
>
>    def foo(self):
>        bar = self.bar
>        baz = self.baz
>        # ...
>
> Sometimes there are around ten lines like that at the beginning of
> a method. :)

Does this make your customers happier?

> But as I said, your decision is fine with me either way.  When I am
> done with the broad strokes I will probably go ahead and do some
> benchmarks comparing the two methods, just so there is more to reason
> with than just code style when making decisions like this.

I like that approach.

Thanks again for your efforts.

David

reply