durusmail: durus-users: Seeking a Volunteer Speaker for a 5-Min Recorded Talk
Seeking a Volunteer Speaker for a 5-Min Recorded Talk
2007-09-09
Seeking a Volunteer Speaker for a 5-Min Recorded Talk
Re: Seeking a Volunteer Speaker for a 5-Min Recorded Talk
2007-09-12
Re: Seeking a Volunteer Speaker for a 5-Min Recorded Talk
Re: Seeking a Volunteer Speaker for a 5-Min Recorded Talk
2007-09-13
Re: Seeking a Volunteer Speaker for a 5-Min Recorded Talk
Seeking a Volunteer Speaker for a 5-Min Recorded Talk
Mike Orr
2007-09-11
On 9/11/07, A.M. Kuchling  wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 02:42:18AM -0500, Jeff Rush wrote:
> > As Python Advocacy Coordinator, I'm looking for someone who can record a
> > 5-minute screencast about the neat aspect of object-oriented databases,
> > particularly Durus.
>
> Going to lunch the other day, I was thinking about the content of such
> a talk.  I thought it might start by contrasting the SQL approach (run
> a query and process the resulting output) with the very Pythonic OO
> approach (create a bunch of objects, modify them, commit them).  But
> most ORMs also try to provide a Pythonic-looking interface.  Should
> the screencast be a more general one that discusses both ORMs and
> non-SQL-based OODBs?
>
> On the other hand, that may be pushing what can fit into a screen
> cast, especially a 5-minute one.  I'll think some more about a Durus
> screencast.

I would focus on Durus and contrast it with SQL on the side. Or make
two screencasts, one focusing on Durus and the other showing how to do
the same task in Durus and SQLAlchemy side by side.

Speaking as somebody who's used SQLAlchemy recently, it has advantages
and disadvantages wrt Durus. The disadvantage is you have to define
your tables and columns in addition to your record classes, and you
have to use somewhat funny syntax to build where clauses (Pythonic but
still not native).  On the other hand, it's easier to do a SQL query
or bulk update in one step than to loop through all your records in a
'for' statement, plus you can do queries directly in the command-line
tool.

--
Mike Orr
reply