durusmail: mems-talk: Why MEMS?
Why MEMS?
Philip D. Floyd
2003-09-03
Great question

Others can no doubt answer this in more detail, but here are something to
think about:

Think of MEMS as an *enabling* technology.

The goal isn't necessarily to make large things in a small form per se.
What is important is that a 'thing' in a smaller form can enable new
functionality either unobtainable or just not imaginable.

An analogy (though not a great one) is the evolution of microelectronics.
Had you asked your question in 1953, as opposed to 2003, you might have
asked "why do you need to shrink electronics?"

Given that in its form at that time (vacuum tubes, large discrete caps,
resistors, diodes ect) everything seemed to work just fine.  However, the
shrinking and *reduction in cost* of electronics has allowed for the use
electronics everywhere, improving products (better function, reliability,
cost ) and industrial productivity.  Additionally, shrinking of electronics
has enabled creation of cheap general purpose computers, sophisticated
software and all the results you see around you now.

It's not just the shrinking of the devices that is important, it is the fact
that they are smaller, and can be made in large numbers *at low cost*.

Will the same thing happen with MEMS.  Yes, to some extent.  There are many
differences between the microelectronics and MEMS which will make the impact
of MEMS on other technologies different than the impact of microelectronics.
I'll let someone else talk about that.

Places to find out more about MEMS

http://www.bell-labs.com/org/physicalsciences/projects/mems/mems.html

http://mems.colorado.edu/c1.res.ppt/ppt/g.tutorial/ppt.htm

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.01/mems.html
http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~mems/

************************************
Philip D. Floyd, Ph.D.
Iridigm Display Corporation
2415 Third Street, Suite 235
San Francisco, CA 94107
ph:  (415) 626-8800 x138
fax: (415) 626-9775
email: pfloyd@iridigm.com
web:  http://www.iridigm.com/
This email communication may contain CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION of IRIDIGM
DISPLAY CORPORATION and is intended only for the use of the intended
recipients identified above. If you are not the intended recipient of this
communication, you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy or print this
email. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately
notify the sender by reply email, delete the communication and destroy all
copies.