durusmail: mems-talk: Why MEMS?
Why MEMS?
Raj Gupta
2003-09-03
I couldn't resist jumping in...

Firstly, what do you mean by MEMS?  Microlithography through
photolithography, or "micro-electro-mechanical systems" - the latter
being somewhat of a specialty to make devices such at TI's DLP, where
the technology is a venue for niche applications.

To answer your question Atul - it's about cost AND marketing.

If you can do it cheaper using tools that do not employ
photolithography, awesome!  If you venture into uncharted territory
using an unconventional technology, e.g. "MEMS", to make an improvement,
especially if slight, over something which might already exist, hire a
kick-butt marketing person and ensure strong financial backing.

--

Raj Gupta, Director
   Nanotechnology & MEMS Consulting

reply