durusmail: mems-talk: Au electroplating on Al substrate
Au electroplating on Al substrate
Au electroplating on Al substrate
Brad Cantos
2009-01-08
Typically an adhesion promotion layer (Ti, Cr) is used between the
substrate and the seed layer.  In the case of Au on Al, I think
someone earlier in this thread alluded to purple plague, an
intermetallic that forms between Au and Al at high temperatures and
other conditions.  A barrier layer (Pt, TiW) is often used between the
adhesion and seed layer.  So the stack might look something like this:
_________
Au
_________
Pt
_________
Ti
_________
Al (substrate)

_________

On Jan 8, 2009, at 8:13 AM, Wilson, Thomas wrote:

> Regarding the aluminum oxide formation and the use of Au as a seed
> layer .... I wonder if Au bonds well to Al? I believe I had read
> somewhere that it isn't a very good one.
>
> Thomas

Brad Cantos
brad.cantos@holage.com
http://holage.com