durusmail: mems-talk: Looking for a way to do deep etch in glass (25uM)
Looking for a way to do deep etch in glass (25uM)
Looking for a way to do deep etch in glass (25uM)
Nathan McCorkle
2009-11-04
A professor said micromachining with a diamond blade or a dentists
drill might work to get me close to that size, and then to smooth out
the channel wall, I could do an etch... or even grow some oxide, then
etch to really smooth it out.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Nathan McCorkle  wrote:
> I am currently working with lexan (polycarbonate) and am experiencing
> optical blurring when I use O2 plasma etch for too long, as well as
> warping. I have decreased power and time to alleviate this problem,
> but it takes many more runs to achieve the 20 - 30 micron etches that
> I desire.
>
> I asked an advisor about switching to glass, maybe a quartz or
> borosilicate, and he said that I would need a gold hard mask to get
> around having mask lift off during etch. I feel like there should be
> some way to get a nice isotropic etch with a glass, using the current
> lab equipment that we have.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Nathan McCorkle
reply