durusmail: mems-talk: Microlens fabrication
Microlens fabrication
Microlens fabrication
Warren Dustin
2009-11-06
Hello Alasdair.

A few thoughts on microlens fabrication:

Gray-scale lithography will certainly work and you listed some
difficulties that are present, but I will add in that gray-scale
lithography masks are extremely expensive.

Your idea to use your mask aligner for lens molding is a very good one,
and is indeed the way that many manufacturers are creating microlenses
today.  There are several optical-grade UV curable materials on the
market today.  With these materials you create the lens exactly in the
way you mentioned in your email below, namely dispense the material in a
puddle on your substrate, align your master (mold), and flood expose the
material to cure it.  No heat is required in this process.

Feel free to contact me as we have a lot of experience in microlens
fabrication if you would like more information.

Best Regards,

Dustin Warren, PE

EV Group
invent * innovate * implement
Application Engineer - Direct: +1 (480) 305 2447, Main: +1 (480) 305
2400 Fax: +1 (480) 305 2401
Cell: +1 (480) 274 3894
E-Mail: D.Warren@EVGroup.com, Web: www.EVGroup.com