durusmail: mems-talk: Etching SOI wafer from back side
Etching SOI wafer from back side
Etching SOI wafer from back side
QAZI, MUHAMMAD
2010-05-05
Weiquan

I and my friend, Jie Liu (he specifically works on SOI) worked on back side
etching. I don't know how thick you want to etch. We use anisotropic Si etch
(Bosch process), and it gives good result and vertical etching. The tool is
Plasma therm ICP etcher. I found out this to be very useful. The selectivity for
Si and SiO2 was 100:1. The only problem with dry etch may be its slow etch rate.
Eching rate for me was 0.25-0.3um/min. For etching 500 um Si I found that only
6um SiO2 was etched. The SiO2 was Plasma Therm PECVD oxide. The staffs in
cleanroom told me that the oxide from that specific tool is the worst from all
PECVD deposition tools they have. As the top side was placed upside down, I
didn't find any etching effect on the top side SiO2.. The work is done in
MiRC,GTech, Atlanta. Any further questions are welcomed.

Muhammad Qazi
Dept of EE
University of South Carolina, Columbia