durusmail: mems-talk: Re: what am i doing wrong with ti adhesion layers?
Re: what am i doing wrong with ti adhesion layers?
Re: what am i doing wrong with ti adhesion layers?
Robert Okojie
1998-11-07
Andrew,

I may not have a specific answer to your question, but a quick SEM and EDX will
give a good understanding of the surface morphology and atomic concentrations,
respectively.

Secondly,  Ti(2-5nm) on glass should be of concern.  Glasses are ocassionally
known to have distributed 'peaks', 'valleys' and, sometimes, pits.  Assuming
you have not done so, I will suggest you start with the glass substrate.
 Compare its surface roughness to the Ti thickness.  If the rms roughness is
greater than the thickness of Ti, then you may likely have Ti discontinuities.
 As a result some sites on the glass will be in direct contact with Au.
 Adhesion of Au to glass is a challenge.

Regards,

Robert.

--