durusmail: mems-talk: RF-DC sputtering _ need some suggestion(s)
RF-DC sputtering _ need some suggestion(s)
RF-DC sputtering _ need some suggestion(s)
Ruiz, Marcos Daniel (SENCOE)
2011-01-26
Thanks for the clear replies to my questions.  Based on your answers, it
is safe to say that you are doing a good job of eliminating oxygen and
moisture from the chamber before deposition.

The only other source of oxygen is your "IO" sputter target.  Although I
have no experience sputtering this alloy, I suspect that the oxygen in
the "IO" target is sputtered at a greater rate (maybe 4X faster) than
the other element.  Thus, the resulting film on your samples is oxygen
rich.

This supports the advice you've already received about getting a new
target.  I think the other piece of advice you got about wafer
temperature probably serves to keep free oxygen out of the solid phase.

Your sputter target vendor would probably be a good resource here.  They
may be able to tell you what target you need to buy (percent oxygen) to
achieve the oxygen level you require in your samples.

Dan Ruiz