durusmail: mems-talk: SU-8 2005 overexposed?
SU-8 2005 overexposed?
SU-8 2005 overexposed?
Jocelyn Ng
2013-01-21
Thank you so much for your insights and comments.
Ya that was a typo, I meant post bake at 95C for 120S. In your opinion, does the
soft bake temperature affect much? Is there a minimum temperature?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Siew Mun

Sent from my iPhone

On 22 Jan, 2013, at 5:21, Brubaker Chad  wrote:

> Also, I would also look into your exposure source - as Gareth mentions in an
earlier message in this thread, SU-8 is very sensitive to DUV (exposure <350 nm
wavelength) - many broadband exposure sources (i.e., 350 - 450 nm) will have a
small amount of "leakage" below 350 nm (depends on the quality of the cut-off
filter) - SU-8 rapidly absorbs these wavelengths will little to no transparency
or bleaching - ultimately this leads to a T-topped profile (which, when viewed
from above, can have the appearance of dark edges).

> On the other hand, if the film is underexposed, but uses the proper wavelength
band, the profile can slope in either direction (positive slope due to longer
developer attack to the upper regions, or negative slope, due to top surface
being exposed, and bottom not - this is less likely, due to the transparency of
the SU-8).

> Regarding the bake parameters you are currently using, I almost think I could
read it as "95 seconds at 120 C" or "95C for 120 seconds).

> If you are PEB at 120C, then underexposure is not your concern - SU-8 uses a
catalyzed photo-acid - the exposure product is not a reactant for the cross-
linking process, it's a catalyst. Longer exposures simply increase the
concentration of the catalyst, which influences reaction rate. Variation in PEB
temperature will also influence the reaction rate (similar to exposure - the
higher the temperature, the higher the reaction rate). In general, SU-8, once
exposed, will crosslink to near-completion; its just a question of "how long".

> Considering
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Chad Brubaker
>
> EV Group
> invent * innovate * implement
> Senior Process Technology Engineer - Direct: +1 (480) 305 2414, Main: +1 (480)
305 2400 Fax: +1 (480) 305 2401
> Cell: +1 (602) 321 6071
> E-Mail: C.Brubaker@EVGroup.com, Web: www.EVGroup.com
>

> This message and any attachments contain confidential or privileged
information, which is intended for the named addressee(s) only. If you have
received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete this
e-mail. Please note that unauthorized review, copying, disclosing, distributing
or otherwise making use of the information is strictly prohibited.

bounces+c.brubaker=evgroup.com@memsnet.org] On Behalf Of Gareth Jenkins