durusmail: mems-talk: Questions regarding HMDS (Hexamethyldisilazane)
Questions regarding HMDS (Hexamethyldisilazane)
FW: Questions regarding HMDS (Hexamethyldisilazane)
2013-12-17
Questions regarding HMDS (Hexamethyldisilazane)
Questions regarding HMDS (Hexamethyldisilazane)
Andrew Sarangan
2013-12-17
My experience is exactly as you have stated. I am not a chemist, but I
have not seen evidence that HMDS priming improves the resist adhesion.
The real advantage comes from the hydrophobic surface preventing polar
liquids from penetrating the resist/substrate interface, which
determines how well the resist pattern will survive the wet
development. In fact, photoresist will bead up and refuse to spin coat
on an excessively primed substrate, which would suggest that the
adhesion is actually poorer on a primed surface. So it is a delicate
balance between hydrophobic and hydrophilic effects. Too little
priming will make the photoresist stick better, but it will make the
water stick even better, so all your small features will float away.
Too much priming will make the resist unable to form a film.

Interestingly, all of this has been well studied in a paper from 1984.
The conclusion of the paper reads
"In fact, the HMDS is sold as an “adhesion promoter,‘” Contrary to
this, this study revealed that  the same treatment made photoresist to
substrate adhesion drastically weaker, as demonstrated in the Dry
Adhesion Test. From this point  of view,  HMDS cannot be referred to
as an “adhesion promoter,” This inconsistency has been resolved by two
different adhesion mechanisms proposed here"

Here is the reference to that paper:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0166-6622(84)80153-5