durusmail: mems-talk: Questions regarding HMDS (Hexamethyldisilazane)
Questions regarding HMDS (Hexamethyldisilazane)
FW: Questions regarding HMDS (Hexamethyldisilazane)
2013-12-17
Questions regarding HMDS (Hexamethyldisilazane)
Questions regarding HMDS (Hexamethyldisilazane)
Bill Moffat
2013-12-20
FDTS like the other hundreds of silanes reacts differently with different
contact angles and different bonding to the required substrate. I have copied
Ken Sautter who has a vast experience with multiple different silanes for his
comments. Bill

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 20, 2013, at 9:13 AM, "Nathan McCorkle"  wrote:

> How does FDTS compare to HMDS?
>
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Bill Moffat
>  wrote:
>>
>> Daniel, good question.  Here is my experience.  First the problems with
resist adhesion are usually caused by moisture and as the three vacuum purges
with hot nitrogen between the vacuum purges absolutely dehydrate the wafers,
which is a great start.  The HMDS molecule bonds to the wafer surface replacing
the H in the Hydroxyl ion with a Si(CH3)3 molecule, giving off ammonia.  This
gives an inorganic/organic molecule, bonded to the wafer.   The Three (CH3)
atoms are on the surface and there is not a chemical bond between the resist and
the methyl but the resist intertwines with the organic Methyl's for better
adhesion.  So you get a great bond at the wafer surface and a good interaction
at the resist face.  Experiments show a reduction in roughness of the
resist/wafer Critical Dimension from 0.8 microns +/- 10% down to 0.8 microns +/-
4%.  The 4% is the roughness of the original resist line seen at the developed
image.  If the developed image can be improved the roughness