durusmail: mems-talk: Silicon_Glass Fusion Bonding
Silicon_Glass Fusion Bonding
Silicon_Glass Fusion Bonding
Bill Moffat
2009-02-10
Experience to date with customers using YES plasma equipment for plasma
bonding.  The first is a company bonding silicon wafers to silicon
wafers.  For this they us about 10 minutes of Argon plasma and just
place the plasma bonded surfaces next to each other and squeeze.  The
result is a silicon wafer twice as thick.  The one I can quote because I
did the plasma bonding for a customer in Norway is plasma bonding a
flexible array that is a proprietary Dupont material to a super clean
glass slide.  The flexible array is a DNA well construction about 100
holes down to the glass slide.  The object is to glue the array to the
glass slide without chemicals that would be a problem for the DNA
solution.  But no solution can make its way to another well.  Because
the flexible Dupont plastic had a problem with temperature and plasma
raises the temperature I finished up with a 15 second plasma using Argon
and just slapped the 2 surfaces together.  An intimate weld.  The
company in Norway bought a plasma unit, and I have a slide on my desk
that is 5 years old and the parts have not separated.  In fact the slide
has broken due to efforts to remove the flexible plastic but they are
still stuck together.  Hope this helps.

Bill Moffat, CEO
Yield Engineering Systems, Inc.
203-A Lawrence Drive, Livermore, CA  94551-5152
(925) 373-8353

www.yieldengineering.com