durusmail: mems-talk: metallization on PDMS
metallization on PDMS
metallization on PDMS
Pavan Samudrala
2009-06-01
Hi Nidhi,

Couple of things could have happened.

1) Usually temperatures rise during sputtering and PDMS has very low melting
point (~50C). PDMS probably is getting hot to an extent that it creates a
huge stress on the material and deforming it.

2) You have not mentioned the thickness of Chrome and Au layers. If you are
very thick there is always stress in the film that may have caused this.

Hope that helps. Would keep an eye on other responses.

Regards,
Pavan

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM, nidhi maheshwari wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> For some of my experiments I need to have metal patterns onto PDMS. I
> have gone through the litreature available on net and found that
> plasma oxidation followed by e-beam evaporation of metals form stable
> metal films. As we dont have an e-beam system for evaporation of gold.
> I tried depositing Chrome-Gold layers by sputter after plasma
> oxidation of PDMS. What I obtained was buckled metal layers. Can
> anyone please suggest some method to get rid of the buckling/ waves
> formed.
>
> Regards,
> Nidhi Maheshwari
> IIT Bombay