From: mems-talk-bounces@memsnet.org [mailto:mems-talk-bounces@memsnet.org]
On Behalf Of weiquan yang
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 9:27 AM
To: mems-talk@memsnet.org
Subject: [mems-talk] SiO2 RIE etching without carbonizing the photoresist

Hi, everyone. I am trying to etch SiO2 layer by RIE dry etching using
photoresist (s1827) as the etching mask. Because the SiO2 layer is as thick
as 1 um, I need to do the RIE dry etching for long time. However when I
extend the etching time more than 15 mins, the photoresist becomes
carbonized. Carbonzied photoresist is hard to remove without attacking the
GaAs device under the SiO2. Are there other SiO2 etching recipes
without carbonizing the photoresist? Or are there some way to strip the
carbonized photoresist without destroying the device? Thank you!

Weiquan