durusmail: mems-talk: Au/Ti adhesion problem
Au/Ti adhesion problem
2010-12-03
Au/Ti adhesion problem
Andrew Sarangan
2010-12-03
A thin layer of Cr helps the adhesion of Au. However, your peeling
issue could be due to a number of other causes. How were these films
produced - evaporation, magnetron, sputtering.. Mag sputtering under
low pressure can lead to excessive compressive stress which can cause
buckling delaminations. Evaporated films can have tensile stress and
lead to void defects. Stresses can also develop due to absorption of
moisture in evaporated films. You should be able to determine if the
stress is compressive or tensile by examining the peeling regions.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Binh Tran  wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm having a problem with the Au/Ti adhesion on glass wafer as follow :
>
> I had finished the Au/Ti coating process on the glass wafer (piranha treated),
there is no problem. Then I used some of them for my experiment at that time
(the adhesion was good) and kept the others for the later use.

> After a few days when I used the others and there was a problem with the Au/Ti
layer. They became sensitive and easily peel off even when washing with DI
water. I don't know why there is a different adhesion between the first and the
second time using. Does anyone face this problem before ?

> Thank you
>
> Binh Tran
> MS Candidate - Nano System
> Kyungwon University - Korea