durusmail: mems-talk: Remove aluminum mask after DRIE
Remove aluminum mask after DRIE
Remove aluminum mask after DRIE
Yongliang Yang
2013-05-08
Hi, Jenn,

Is your aluminum layer is pure Al or Al with 1-2% Si? According to your
description, it  looks the 500nm Aluminum actually is Al with 1-2% Si. You
can try a quick Si etching like KOH or DRIE to see if you can clean the
residues.

Best,
Yongliang

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM, HJ Rhee  wrote:

> I'm trying to remove the aluminum layer (5000A, sputtered) that was used as
> a hard mask for DRIE for structure release and having difficulty removing
> it completely using the Al etchant (Al-12S).  There are residues left on
> the surface (SiO2) that look like small grains, even after leaving the
> wafer on the ethant (more than 1 hr). After a short-dip on BOE (~30s) and
> putting in the etchant, the residues are reduced but still not completely
> clean.
>
> Anyone has an idea to completely remove these residues or has the same
> experience? I don't quite understand why BOE helepd since shouldn't
> aluminum oxide be only on the surface, not throughout the Al thin-film?
>
> Thanks!!!
> -Jenn

Yongliang Yang
Phone: +1 650 804 8206