durusmail: mems-talk: KOH etch surface "craters"
KOH etch surface "craters"
Mehmet Dokmeci (3 parts)
KOH etch surface "craters"
Martin,Michael David
2014-07-03
Hi Aaron,
   For super uniform shallow etches I use 6M KOH which is about 33% w/w at
75-80C with 5:1 KOH:IPA. The isopropyl acts as a surfactant to prevent hydrogen
bubbles from micromasking the surface which can cause surface defects. I think
some groups use commercial surfactants such as Triton X-100 in their bulk etches
for the same purpose but without having to worry about evaporation. At 75C we
get an etch rate of 1 um/min so you might want to lower the temperature for a
lower etch rate and better process control when doing a shallow etch.
  When preparing the substrate I prefer to solvate the resist in acetone, then
rinse in methanol and IPA without letting the acetone dry as this will leave
residue. Then plasma clean in O2. As an added precaution you might try a brief
HF dip to remove any native oxide just before going into the KOH.  By the way I
got the etch recipe from Marc Madou's book.

Good luck,
Michael